The world needs people like Mr. Stoll to show us what is possible if you try. ~ T. Gadowski, Community activist
For one brief hour, through [Scott's] slides and stories, our students traveled the world and recognized their dreams can come true. Perhaps someday our school will host another traveler sharing his or her tales. But maybe this traveler will be a former student inspired by hearing [Scott] speak. ~ C. Orvold, Associate Principal. (Read the whole letter of commendation.)
My goal is to spark the spirit of adventure in the audience, so that everyone feels as if they have taken the first step on their next adventure before they even leave the room. ~ Scott
The success of Scott's presentation is simply the opportunity for people to connect with a real person with a true story of hope and inspiration. ~ Anonymous
Scott Stoll spent 4 years cycling around the world on a quest for happiness and the meaning of life. He has shared his story of self-discovery with tens-of-thousands of students and professionals around the globe.
His show features an entertaining and inspirational slideshow about his quest, including many examples of the trials and the triumphs of “falling uphill". It is a unique educational experience, which is also a metaphor for everyone's journey towards fulfilling their own dream, whether that be an adventurer, artist, scientist, business person or cupcake baker. His presentation is jam-packed with entertaining adventures and explores inspirational and enlightening themes like:
- Embracing your fears and turning adversity into an ally (falling uphill)
- Cultural awareness and discovering what it means to be human
- Using your emotional fuel to turn dreams into reality
- Affirming that we are all heroes in the adventure of life
- Rediscovering the “secret” to happiness and the meaning of life
- Enjoying both the journey and the destination
- And, don’t forget, it is full of adventure, like: swimming across a river full of crocodiles, cycling to Mt. Everest Base Camp, almost dying of dehydration and much more….
Scott doesn't teach a magic formula to live your life, but demonstrates, by example, how living life — including doubt, fear and mistakes — is the magic. By the end of his presentation, participants will have not only dreamed a dream but taken an actual step on their own journey.
Scott Stoll is available for lectures and slideshows across the globe to schools, buisnesses and organizations. Talks range 3-90 minutes with up to120 slides (Scott has over 6000 photos to choose from) including a question and answer period and book signing, and potential workshops or classroom visits.
- For general audiences: Scott has an entertaining and inspirational presentation of his trip around the world as an example of the trials and the triumphs of “Falling Uphill". (See the talking points above.)
- For students: Scott's show is titled "If you could do anything, what would you do?" which focuses on creating dreams and turning them into reality. The presentation is similar to the one for general audiences but it is customized for different age groups, and students are encouraged to take the first step of their journey with classroom activities or a "homeplay" assignment, like illustrating their dream or creating a bucket list.
- For professional audiences who are already on the path towards their dream, Scott has a show titled "Life is like riding a bicycle,” which focuses on owning your dream, overcoming adversity and enjoying the journey. This show deemphasizes the trip in favor of showcasing the top lessons learned while cycling around the world, with examples and guides on how to overcome adversity and actualize your dream and create a sense of fulfillment.
- Customized presentations: Since each organization has unique goals, please don't hesitate to contact us to discuss how we can create the ideal presentation for your group. If you are a community leader or event organizer and interested in championing this show, a great place to start is to download the Promotional Flier (PDF) and distribute this to your group members.
- Bike and props: Scott can also bring the bicycle that went around the world or even the tent as well as the map display.
- Promotional Package. Along with my speaking you get my media kit and dedication to marketing the event. For example, one bookstore earned $2500 from one booksigning by promoting the event in the local medai. Scott's story has been featured in hundreds of places like the New York Times, see Media Favorites. This creates an opportunity to piggy-back your organization's values with a media friendly story.
- Speaking Package. Scott has created multiple resources to maximize your audience's experience, including: handouts with an introduction to the show, biography and infographics like "How to fall uphill" and "The hero’s journey", random facts sheet (how many flat tires did you get), a Parent-Teacher Student Guides including classroom activities and online resources, such as Backyard Adventures and "Homeplay" assignments, plus all the resources on this website.
- School Book Project: Schools may wish to participate in following Scott's adventures abroad, or even illustrating the next book.
Recepient of the Spirit of Adventure Award as presented by Los Angeles Council of Hostelling International.
- Current event. Local School Districts. "If you could do anything, what would you do? How to create dreams and turn them into reality."
- Current event. Scott is also attending local Bike to School Days, helping to educate young riders on bicycle safety.
- Current event. Scott is giving slideshows at local senior living facilities, and other organizations such as the Boy Scouts of America, Rotary Clubs and more.
- And more. This list is constantly changing....
Note: a small but representative list of over a hundred engagements in many countries.
- NorCal Peace Corps Association annual meeting.
- Central Indiana Bicycling Association and the friends of the library. More info in this great newspaper article.
- The San Diego Council of Hostelling International Annual Members Meeting as well as San Francisco and Los Angeles annual meetings.
- And other annual corporate events, such as: the Portable Sanitation Association International.
- Cultural Ambassador to Argentina with the US Department of State, including dozens of venues.
- Growing Power International Urban Farm Conference. "Sustainable Living: As seen by the man who bicycled the world." More info. And the Healthy Living Expo. More info.
- Guest author/speaker at the SE Wisconsin Book Festival and the Fox City Book Festival.
- The Rotary Club.
- People To People.
- The Cub Scouts of America.
- The Elk's Lodge.
Universities to Elementary Schools to Day Care
- Waukesha County Technical College. Spring Spotlight Professional Development.
- Carroll University. Bike Week.
- The University of California Santa Barbara. "Break out of your cultural box -- Travel the world!" Download PDF flyer for this event.
- The STEM Academy, Butler Middle School, Whitnall Middle School, Whitefish Bay Middle School, Frank Lloyd Wright Intermediate School, Woodside Elementary, Lincoln Elementary, and dozens more.
- The Goddard School, Early Childhood Preschool
- A handful of schools and other small venues around the world, including Africa where there was no actual school building.
- Last October I had the great opportunity to share my story with the inmates at Fox Lake Correctional Facilities. Read the story.
- Retirement and Elderly Care Communities.
- Guest speaker at The Lonely Planet book launch for "By the seat of my pants". (I have a co-starring role in one story.)
- Misc. events such as judge for the Literary Council of Greater Waukesha 19th Annual Spelling Bee, and lead bicycle escort for Hank Aaron State Trail 5k Run/Walk and the Vibha 5K Run/Walk.
- A generous amount of mini-talks, book signings and book clubs.
- And experience as a lifetime student/teacher of self-improvement, such as: teaching chess to elementary students, coaching leadership programs, continuing education, etc.
- Wisconsin Public Radio, Around the World Radio correspondent, Sierra Club Radio, Sirius Radio, The Fitness Guru, Sustainable Futures, and television shows such as The Morning Blend, Showcase Minnesota and WGN Chicago. See media favorites to view the actual broadcasts.
Dear Scout, I love your terp a rand the word. ~ Elisia, Kindergartener. (Read the letter.)
While I expected your presentation would be interesting, I wasn’t sure how it would be handled by a group of 45 boys, Grades 1-5 (along with siblings, some a bit younger). The answer was found not only by their attentiveness during the presentation but all their questions afterward. In addition, my own sons finished your books the next day, and told me that “all the Scouts were talking about it” at school! ~ M. Bender, Cubmaster, Pack 506 (Please read the descriptive letter of commendation.)
Scott has an incredible number of exciting and challenging experiences to be able to share with his audiences. He does a great job of using these experiences as motivational tools for other. Scott will proved a worthwhile message to your group. In addition to hearing his message of dreaming, people will also truly enjoy hearing his story. Please consider Scott as a speaker for your event. ~ N. Bur, Guidance Counselor. (Read the whole letter of commendation.)
His presentation was well-received by students and staff alike ~ S. Behrendt, Principal. (Read the whole letter of commendation.)
I'm proud to have a constituent who dedicated 4 years of his life to cycling the world. You have a wonderful story to share with the world. And I am pleased that you continue to advocate on behalf of an issue you care deeply about. ~ Congressman Sensenbrenner. Please note: This testimonial isn't for my speaking, but it is wonderful to have worked with the US Dept. of State as a Cultural Ambassador and continue to make a difference in our community. (Read the hand-signed letter.)
That was AWESOME! It is an experience that will last the kids a lifetime. ~ Ryan Krohn, STEM Principal
More recent testimonials
Scott brings the world to you. ~ Mrs. Berry, Teacher
Thank you again for sharing your story with our staff. I think your message is a universal one and believe that our staff were very engaged and inspired by your discoveries (of self and the world!). ~ Adrianne Chang, Manager, Human Resources WCTC
After hearing your story I called my husband and said, "We need to do something with our lives. We are not living our dreams!" Again, thank you for sharing your story. It really struck something in me and when you said that our dreams are probably right on the other side of our fears. ~ Laura, WCTC
Thank you, Scott for presenting and sharing your inspirational stories with at our Spring Spotlight. We are all amazed at your journey and love the happy ending the brought you here. May all your adventures be memorable and enlightening. Thank you for making our day of professional development and personal improvement a great success! ~ The Spring Spotlight Committee, L. Jansen
Scott's rates are very reasonable. ~ Shady Lane PTA President
The staff and kids thought you were fantastic, funny and amazing!!! You are definitely in your niche!!! ~ Tyler N., Teacher, Lincoln Elementary
You helped us to learn to dream BIG! ~ Mrs. K's Kindergarten Kiddos
I just finished listening to the show today – thanks so much for joining us! Your story is so inspiring, and your style is so humble and down-to-earth! I’m sure we’ll continue to hear good feedback from listeners. Until next time, happy trails! ~ Rachel O. Wisconsin Public Radio
Thank you for coming to speak with us. Your story and continual journey is an inspiring one, but also a reminder of reality. The internal struggles remain, and surface from time to time, but knowing how to process and learn from the struggles creates the newest chapter of each person's story. ~ B. Anderson, Teacher
As someone whose travels reflect our values of intercultural understanding, and because your slideshows were so well received at HI member events, we would be honoured to have you join our celebration as a member of an Honorary Committee for the Hostelling International Anniversary Year. ~ Barbara Wein, Director
Thank you for coming to speak at our Annual Meeting. Your story sparked so much interest that we had to turn away at least forty people! Those that did see your presentation were very moved, and several commented that they wished you had more time with us. Congratulations on completing an amazing journey, and for inspiring others to realize their dreams. ~ Sue Schaffner. Executive Director Hostelling International San Diego
I think a lot of companies or groups or schools would pay big money for you to share life experiences and techniques for dealing with setbacks and challenges you faced while cycling around the world. I hate to say it, but I really feel you need to do this, not for the money, look at it more as your obligation. The world needs people like yourself to show us what is possible, if you try. ~ T. Gadowski
Thank you for taking the time to call-in to Around the World Radio! You were fabulous on the air! Please keep us posted on your travels and the progression of your book. ~ Around The World Radio.
The most succesful author we've had in 17 years. ~ Martha Merrell's Bookstore
Dear Mr. Scott Stoll, When you came to [our school] your stories about your traveling adventures made think about biking around the world too. I really love to go to all of the states and countries. I always want to become a traveler too. I can imagine me traveling and meeting new people and talking in different language. Thank you. ~ Gabrielle
Thanks for the link to your recent interview on WPR. I listened to both programs and again, I am amazed at the wonderful information you had both about your journey, but also about the work you do with the schools in writing your books. You are really talented. We are really looking forward to your visit with us. ~ M. R., People to People
I was so inspired by you that I talked to my boss — something I would never have done — I can’t believe he agreed to give me a sabbatical, so that I can volunteer in Thailand. I’m leaving ASAP ~ Melissa J.
English is not my native language, but your speech I could understand very well. I liked your sense of humor, you sounded so natural! It was amazing to me to listen to somebody, who took 5000 pictures in 56 countries & 6 continents & was sharing the best of them with us! I'm from Russia. I like to travel, so yesterday with the help of your slides I could enjoy the beauty of the world. To me you are a hero! ~ Klaudia G.
You brought tears to my eyes. ~ Anonymous Peace Corp volunteer
You're an inspiration. ~ V. Alvarez
I'd love to have the same adventures. You're only young once. ~ The Moyers
Congratulations on creating the JOY in life in each moment. Thank you for sharing your story. Hopefully, it will inspire me to follow my dreams. ~ Jana H. San Diego Council
Dear Scott, I just wanted to tip my hat to you for having the guts to follow your dream. Wow, what an amazing story. I spent a lot of time looking at the pictures on your website and reading your descriptions and sample chapters and was truly inspired. The photo that struck me the most was not some exotic locale, but your before and after shot. The transformation spoke volumes. You looked so tan, fit and happy in the after shot that I could hardly see that you were the same person. The physical change was less impressive to me than what appeared to be the psychological change [meeting you in person]. ~ Susan L.
I share your passion. Well done! You can be a guide for me any day. ~ Julie, Ride Strong Bike Tours
Thanks so much for speaking at our annual meeting! Over 150 guests came just to see you! and your fabulous slides! ~ Rebecca R.
Thank you for the inspiration. Good luck with your next adventure. ~ Olivia P.
Scott—Amazing, inspiring and enjoyable presentation. ~ Daphne P.
I really enjoyed your talk! Especially the simplicity and honesty. ~ Emily P.
Thanks for sharing your dream! ~ Bob T.
Thank you for your visit to our school. Rohan and I enjoyed your presentation and felt very inspired by it. We are reading your book and loving it! I am so glad that your visit to HSCL worked out before Rohan moves on to middle school. ~ Kavita
And many more....