Need help planning your travels or adventure?
Welcome to the Argonauts travel resource section! These are handpicked online resources that we’ve have found extraordinarily helpful to plan journeys of any kind. Please send us your recommendations. Begin your travel planning below.
Most importantly, before you go anywhere, whether that be a vacation, sight-seeing tour, backpacking cross countries, volunteer mission, expedition or a full-fledged adventure, it’s useful to learn what an adventure is and how to set a theme to your travels.
Need some ideas of where to go?
- World Heritage List
- Wonders of the world
- United States National Parks
- Try finding a Backyard Adventure
Need some inspirational role models?
- Featured Argonauts / Archive
- My ever-incomplete Twitter List of great world cycle touring adventurers.
- My ever-incomplete Twitter List of great argonauts and adventurers.
- Inspirational bicycle quotes
Info for the bicycle tourist (more general travel info below)
- See my world trip for FAQs and Supplies and Tips & tricks
- For my current thoughts and inspirations, see my Blog
- 159 bicycle touring destinations you must see
- My ever-incomplete Twitter List of bicycle organizations, bike gear, cool businesses and more.
- Adventure Cycling — specializes in maps and tours in the USA
- Warmshowers.org — Accommodation for bicycle tourists
- Crazyguyonabike.com — The craigslist for bicycle touring
- Bicycletouringpro.com — Useful tips on a bicycle touring blog
- Thenextchallenge.org/LDCJ Long Distance Cycle Journeys (LDCJ) is probably the largest bicycle touring data set in the world. I love the graphs that show what kind of gear the cyclists are using.
- Ultracycling.com — Want to try setting a cycling record?
Or a world record? — Guinness World Records
- The ultimate guide to bikepacking. A recent guide (2020) from our friends over at Call to Adventure. It’s a comprehensive, everything-you-need-to-know to plan your trip or just want an insider POV.
- The Center for Disease Control. Their listings run the gamut from food handling information to current regional health warnings, and even escaping bullets.
- For information on vaccination requirements and disease outbreaks, visit the World Health Organization
- International Association for Medical Assistance to Travelers
- Lonely Planet for health insurance information
- The US State Department’s and Lonely Planet’s site lists travel warnings.
- Tips for Traveling Abroad by the US State Dept.
- Center for Disease Control (CDC) Health and Safety Guide
- World weather
- Or search other websites for weather patterns in each country.
- Google maps is indispensable. Don’t miss the hiking and biking directions.
- Adventure Cycling. Your number one place for biking maps.
- Garmin GPS
- Antipode Map. This is a fun way to see what’s on the opposite side of the planet from you, and a great tool for planning your record-setting trips.
- These are new since I traveled the world, but now serious adventurers don’t leave home without them. Below are a few products to get you started.
- Spot Tracker
- Couchsurfing.com — Couch surf the world. Or host other travelers:
- Warmshowers.org — Warm showers and accommodation for bicycle tourists.
- Crazyguyonabike.com — The craigslist for bicycle touring with sleeping accommodations.
- You can’t go wrong at Hostelling International. And hostels, in general, are great.
- Servas Travel — Pre-screened way to connect with people.
- Airbnb.com Try this to find guest homes all over the world.
- Don’t forget a tent.
- Google Translate. You can even use the camera to translate signs and menus.
US embassies, consulates, visas and passports
- For a list of United States Embassies, visit the Department of State’s website http://usembassy.state.gov
- For information on USA citizens planning to travel abroad
- Visa, Passport and travel info for visiting the USA:
Visas to the United States
- How to travel overseas as described by US Homeland Security.
- Country and area codes
- Skype. Internet phone and video calling. 1.9¢ anywhere in the world. Free Skype-to-Skype.
- Phone cards (from the USA only) http://www.uniontelecard.com/
- Much to my surprise internet cafes are everywhere!
- These days with all the electronic gadgets power can be a challenge. Here is an overview of each country. World voltage and plug standards.
- Or try solar panels.
- While your traveling, you’ll want to be constantly updated on world events, not only for your travel plans but to have educated conversations. To get a balanced point of view, we recommend listening or reading a variety of sources around the world, such as: